Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Books

Of course there's been some reading as part of our CPE experience, and I just wanted to fill you in in case you're looking for some summer reading.

Awareness by Anthony de Mello
The Dance of Anger by Harriet Lerner

The first one we read as a group. It's not my favorite book of all time, but it presents good perspective and challenges the reader for personal growth.

The second I just started today and can already tell I will love it. It's written specifically for women; not sure if it would be helpful for men or not?

I have my first cold of the summer. I don't like being sick and it doesn't happen very often. I won't be seeing patients again until I get better, but I'm still going to the office because we do so much stuff each day as a group - processing verbatims, reflection papers, and didactics (a time for guest speakers on various topics - today we had an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi talk to us about Judaism). Every day usually includes time for doing rounds (seeing patients), and doing all that group stuff. Being sick doesn't make any of this a lot of fun, but we do so much processing and reflection every day that my supervisor thinks it's crucial for us to be there, and I can see her point. This is good work that we're doing. It's tough, but good, and takes a lot of investment in time and energy for me.

Hope you are all well.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Oof. I just wanted to say from the last post that I remember the first time I was with a family around a brain death. It was really hard for me, too, helping them to understand what it all meant, especially with all the tests. Seriously tough business.

Hope your cold mends soon!

— a