Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sassy Ladies in Austin

The time has come for the annual Sassy Ladies trip! I’m finally in Austin with the Sauey family ladies. There are 10 of us this year. My mom and I got to be the planners this year, so I’m pretty excited to show the girls around the city. Our itinerary includes things like the Austin Duck Adventures (which is totally perfect for our group!), touring the state capital, shopping on South Congress, and the Austin Bats under the South Congress bridge. I really enjoy getting to do this trip each year. I love getting to know my aunts and grandma better, and spending time with my mom and sis. Being in a group of ladies that are all related is a special, exciting, and meaningful experience. Last year I realized that we could be more intentional about learning from one another and sharing our life experiences, so one night I asked the group how they knew they wanted to marry the person they married, or what attracted them to him, etc. I really enjoyed the sharing that followed - it was a level of intimacy I hadn’t experienced with them. This year my mom and I have been intentional about including a time for that intimate conversation, and we’ve been trying to come up with questions to ask. My mom invested in a package of “girl talk” cards for some ideas. We haven’t decided on the question yet, but I am already looking forward to the conversation. One question I have been tossing around from conversations with my mom and sister is about giving up/changing/modifying last names for marriage. As women, I think this could be insightful and valuable for us. We’ll see what happens.


No comments: