Monday, June 8, 2009

A good start

My first day of CPE has come and gone.  All in all it was a good day.  Full of awkwardness all over the place, but that is to be expected.  I think my group will be fun to work with.  We at least attempted some bonding today, and I think all made some kind of connection with each other.  We are down to a group of seven from eight, the last had to move out of state at the last minute and so won't be able to join us.  So for this summer unit it'll be me, five guys around my age, and one other woman who has done numerous units of CPE.  [Sidenote: As forewarned by some of my seminary peers, I will refrain from talking about my group members or the issues that they struggle with over the course of the summer.  It is not my job or my interest to analyze them, especially on the interweb.  I intend for this blog to be about me, my life, and the issues I feel comfortable bringing up with the entire world.  Hopefully that will be interesting enough for you readers out there (who I imagine would rather hear about my own experience of CPE anyway).]  I am less nervous about this whole endeavor than I was last night.  I am excited to go through this experience with my group, learn a lot about myself, and be challenged in ways I can't foresee.  We will start on the floor (whatever that means) on Thursday...still a little nervous about actually doing what we talked about today (dealing a lot with crisis situations surrounding death), but feeling more confident in the skills I will acquire and get to work on when the time comes.

There isn't too much else to report about for today.  I went for a good run after getting home, which is always refreshing and uplifting.  I'm thinking about running the Two-Mile Fun Run at the Run for the Butter in my hometown in a couple weekends.  My hometown, Reedsburg, Wisconsin, is known as the Butter Capital of the World (I have no idea how it got to be that way), so we celebrate the Butter Festival every June.  I haven't been in town for it since high school.  They elect a Miss Reedsburg, who some of us endearingly call the Butter Queen.  Should be a good time.  The real reason for my returning to Reedsburg that weekend is to see a close high school friend be married off.  I can't wait!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Blessings to you this summer! Things are likely to get busy rather quickly, but we'd love to see you for dinner or ice cream or something while you're in the area. I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences this summer, and will keep you and your group in my thoughts and prayers!! :)