Friday, June 19, 2009

Personality tests and Verbatims

I'm back in Reedsburg for KS's wedding.  I got to take today off, which I have to say is a great thing.  It's a challenge for me to be required to work six days a week.  I am not one who lives to be in the office.  It's just not how I'm wired.  

I'm scrapping the attempt at organization from the last blog...though I'm still trying to figure out my style.  There are other blogs that I keep up on and at some point it seems that the blogger wants to know who's reading.  I typically wouldn't respond to such a request, and didn't really know why they wanted to know so badly until I started my own.  I'm not asking you to respond, but I do get the whole 'I wonder who's reading my blog' thing.  

Another piece of business about the blog that you'll see in the next paragraph - I just figured out that I can insert links to help you learn more about some things that I talk about.  You can see that some of the words are green and bold below.  You can click on those words and be taken to a site that I linked for your convenience to help explain that topic.  The links I'm using right now are from Wikipedia (an online encyclopedia), and while I don't agree or ascribe to everything in the link, it is at least helpful if you need more information on the topic.

I told you in my last blog that in Group we had to share our stories.  We will be doing a lot of learning and conversation about numerous things over the summer.  We did some personality tests this week - the Enneagram (my favorite!), Myers-Briggs, and Keirsey Temperament.  The MB and KT are related somehow.  I have to say I am not a fan of that system.  It might have to do with testing different on the MB every time I take it (3 and counting), and my MB type not fitting under what Temperament I think I am.  It is not very helpful.  This time I tested ISXX (which, for those of you that know the MB means that I tested equal for T/F and P/J).  I most identify with the Idealist Temperament.  On the Enneagram I am a 9 (the best type, as DPR would say :)).  I love talking about the Enneagram, so if you ever want to know more, ask!

Another new component we added to Group this week was Verbatims.  We are all required to do eight verbatims.  A quick explanation from what I know: a verbatim is a reflection on one specific encounter with a patient.  We are to type up the whole conversation, line by line, and include our own reflections on how we did, why we said this or that, or what our reactions were.  We then bring our verbatim to the Group where everyone reads it - other group members even read your conversation line by line so you can hear how it sounds.  Then we have conversation about it as a group, offering constructive criticism, encouragement, affirmation, etc.  The purpose is for self-growth of course (that's pretty much what this whole program is about), so it's about being challenged to learn about my responses to the world and why I respond that way.  

I drove through the worst storm in my life last night from Chicago to Reedsburg.  I was seriously wondering when I would be swept off the road in a tornado.  I envisioned living the movie Twister.  I am thankful to be at home, spending time with my parents and playing with Abby (the family dog).  Butter Fest is tonight and tomorrow (for me, really it is a week-long affair) - I'm excited for the tractor pull and demolition derby!, and KS's wedding tomorrow.  

No comments: